COVID-19 Temporary Use Permit

On June 8, 2020 the Royal Oak City Commission passed a resolution to encourage economic activity and assist local businesses impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The COVID-19 Temporary Use Permit application allows existing Royal Oak restaurants, retail and service establishments to make temporary changes outside of their establishment, on private or public property, so long as they are able to accommodate the State of Michigan’s current social distancing guidelines.

Click here to read the resolution.

Examples of uses or activities that may be submitted for approval include:

  • Outdoor waiting areas
  • Outdoor displays of goods or services
  • Outdoor fitness activities
  • Outdoor dining where it does not currently exist

Uses and activities prohibited include:

  • Food Trucks and other food preparation activities.
  • Activities or uses not normally associated with the existing establishment’s operation.
  • Use of the Woodward Avenue right-of-way.
  • Entertainment or dancing that does not maintain social distancing guidelines.
  • Additional signage, other than informational or directional signage approved by the city.

Have a great idea for your business? Here’s what you need to get started!

  • A plan view of the proposed activity or use showing all fixtures, furnishings, structures and other existing or planned components or elements with all dimensions clearly marked depicting separation, pedestrian pathways and compliance with social distancing guidelines. View a sample plan.
  • A narrative describing the proposed activity or use, including days and times the activity or use is planned to be in operation.
  • If the proposed activity or use is planned to extend in front of another business or property, a signature from that business/property owner acknowledging said encroachment shall be provided. Download a sample affidavit. Download
  • Proof of insurance as required by the city and a signed license agreement covering the proposed activity or use if planned for public property or rights-of-way. See a sample proof of insurance. Download a COVID-19 Special Land Use Permit - License Agreement.
  • Other materials as may be requested by the Community Development Department.
Image of red button that says Apply Now.

Online Application

Once you have all your plans on paper and any other supplemental documents you might need, you are ready to apply at

Plans will be reviewed by the Community Development Department, Royal Oak Police Department and other city officials as needed.

 A member of staff will notify you once your permit has been approved or if they need additional information. 

You cannot begin building out your proposed space until your application has been approved!